City of Cornell
222 Main Street, Cornell, WI 54732
 fax 715-239-3721


• CITY OFFICE – 222 Main Street
Phone: 715/239-3710 fax 715/239-3721
Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
City Administrator/Clerk-Treasurer: David DeJongh

• POLICE DEPARTMENT – 221 Main Street
Phone: 715/239-3707
Chief: Brian Hurt
1 – full time officer 4 - part-time officers

Phone: 715/239-3717
Hours: Monday – Friday 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

Sanitary Collection System/Storm Sewers/Streets
Phone: 715/239-3717
Hours: Monday – Friday 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

• LIBRARY – 117 N. Third Street
Phone: 715/239-3709
Hours: Monday – 1:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Tuesday – 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday – 3:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Thursday – 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Friday & Saturday – 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

• SENIOR CENTER – 106 N. Third Street
Phone: 715/239-3705

• VISITORS' CENTER – 51 Bridge Street
Phone: 715/239-3619
Open May through October 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.


• We have three parks for your enjoyment. The Brunet Falls Park is located on Main Street adjacent from the Grade School. The Mill Yard Park is located on the corner of Bridge Street and Park Road . Both are equipped with playground equipment and picnic tables. The Mill Yard Pavilion may be rented for large group gatherings; you may get rental fees and more information from the City Office (239-3710). Our beautiful Brunet Island State Park , located at the north end of Park Road , requires an annual or daily sticker for admission from April 1 st through October 31 st . They offer camping, boat landing facilities, fishing, swimming, hiking, and cross country skiing.

• The Cornell Public Libraryis located at 117 N. 3rd Street. The phone number for the library is 239-3709. The library offers numerous services for area residents and visitors including:

*Four computers with Internet access, and an additional computer for word processing use.
*Inter-Library Loan is available for library patrons requesting items not owned by our library.
*Library staff will proctor tests for students being home schooled, and adults furthering their education.
*Historical items are available for the public to browse through including the actual items, as well as, historical photos, which are also available for viewing on our computers.

• All residents of the City of Cornell vote in the Council Chambers, just north of the City Office. Polls are open 7:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. Election dates are published in the Cornell Courier. Call 239-3710 if you have any questions.

• The Cornell Police Department is located at 221 Main Street . Phone numbers are as follows:

Emergency Numbers:
Police Department 911
Fire Department 911
Ambulance Service 911

Non-emergency Numbers:
Police Department 239-3707

• The City offers a public boat landing on Park Road , just north of the City Shop. This is equipped with outdoor toilet facilities and picnic tables.

• Our weekly newspaper, the Cornell Courier, is published and distributed on Wednesday of each week. The Courier office is located at 121 Main Street . Their phone number is 239-6688.

• Garbage and recycling pick-up occurs every Thursday, unless it would fall on a holiday. On holiday weeks garbage will be picked up on Friday. Residents may dispose of waste in Waste Management plastic bags or carts. Bags can be obtained at Gordy's SuperValu and Cornell Hardware Company. Garbage bags sell for $2.60 (includes tax). Garbage carts are available in 3 sizes: 32 gallon for $9.45 a month, 64 gallon for $11.18 a month and 95 gallon for $13.76 a month. Call Waste Management at 1-800-782-7347 to have a cart delivered to your home.

• During the winter months, December 1st through April 1st , the Cornell Ordinance regarding off street parking goes into force: no cars may be parked on any city streets from 2:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. If you have a visitor who is unable to park off the street, call the police station at 239-3707 and leave the vehicle license number, year, make and model, and the address where the vehicle is parked before 2:00 a.m.

• Building permits are required in some cases; inquire at the City Office for requirements and fees.

• We also have a City Ordinance prohibiting burning in a barrel or incinerator in the city limits. You may obtain burning permits for burning brush.

• Dog licenses are required. The fee is $15.00 for animals not neutered/spayed and $10.00 for neutered/spayed animals. The dog must be six (6) months old to license and you must show proof of rabies vaccine, including the vaccine manufactures name and serial number. If your animal is lost call the Cornell Police Department at 239-3707 or the Chippewa County Humane Association at 382-4832.

• The City owns the electric, water and sewer utilities. Once a month the meter reader will be around reading the electric and water meters. If you do not have a remote read water meter, it will be necessary for you to let them in the house to read the water meter. Please have your meter accessible for them, as required by the Public Service Commission. Please keep brush trimmed away from the meter and a path shoveled to the meter in the winter. Most of our meters are remote and these meters only require the meter readers to synchronize the inside and outside readings once a year.

• Regular meetings of the City Council take place on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the City Council Chambers.

• Real estate property taxes are billed mid-December each year. Payments are due either in full on January 31st or in 2 installments, which are due January 31st and July 31st . January payments are made to the City and July payments are made to the County.

• An airport is located one mile east of Cornell on Highway 64. For airport and flight instruction information call 239-3716.

• If you should have interruption of water or electric service call the Cornell Municipal Shop, 300 Park Road , at 239-3717. The Shop is open 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Weekdays.

• On the first Monday of every month at 11:00 a.m. there is a testing of the siren. There will be a 3-minute steady blow. If there is a tornado alert/severe storm, the siren will blow steadily.

• Cornell has an ordinance requiring property to be kept neat, clean, grass mowed, and sidewalks cleared of snow.

Home Resources City Information Things To See Things To Do Places To Stay
Mail: Local Organizations